Action Geometry Consistency

Wed, 14 May 2003 22:07:50 +0200

"Bradley M. Snook" wrote:

> When I do concert level regulation, I try and get key dip, aftertouch,
> letoff, and blow distance as even as possible (in that order). As a
> general rule, I try to maintain evenness in aftertouch and key dip,
> which forces me to distribute the majority of the inaccuracies between
> the blow distance and the letoff. Every once in a while I come across
> a note where something in the action geometry is obviously wrong (e.g.
> to get everything else correct, the blow distance would need to be in
> excess of 1/8" higher/lower than the rest of the hammer line). What do
> I do to fix this problem?
>  Bradley M. Snook
> Graduate Student in Piano Technology (M.Mus)
> Rice University, Shepherd School of Music

Hi there Bradley.. long time no hear !

What do you do to fix the problem eh ??? First I suppose you have to
find out what the problem is. And there are obviously lots of puzzles
that daily pop up in front of us.. some easy to figure some not. The
kind of problems you zoom in on above are often enough due to
inconsistancies in dimension or placement of action parts. I just ran
into a problem today that caused both a weird let off and drop situation
for one note, and about 6 grams of extra BW. Turned out that someone had
replaced a hammershank that was origionally equipped with a knuckle 17
mm from the center pin with one 15 mm from it.. and to boot it was a bit
smaller around as well. Definantly not done conciously me thinks. :)
Same piano just threw me for a loop because of the way the balance rail
pin holes were drilled... took me a while to figure it out but as it
turned out the keys couldnt move past perpendicular to the balance rail
pins... the back wall of the hole was stoping them... real inconsistant
too.. made for a very strange last 2mm of key dip with all that
entails.... so its not always strictly geometry that can cause such
things.

In anycase.. a few things I look at that help find and achieve
aftertouch consistancy

1. I look the the whippen height line... i.e. sight down the line of
whippen heels resting on the capstans. Ideally they should all be
exactly the same height.
2. The jack tops should ideally be all the exact same distance from the
etched mark on the top rep lever. In the same breath use this sameness
to help insure knuckle position consistancy.
3. I like to first make sure that I have sufficient rep spring strength
and insure that the jack top just slips back under the knuckle when you
manually engage and let go of the jack tender. Then I run through letoff
making them as even as I can get them. Then I lift up the hammer out of
the way and watch the top of the jack as I bring the whippen up to the
drop button. If the jack top doesnt start moving forward at the exact
same moment the drop screw engages.. then I change drop until upwards
and outwards movement of the jack top start simultaneously.

If all thats correct then the only thing left is key dip. If after that,
there is something noticably wrong then I start looking for things like
I mentioned above. BW can be a good diagnostic tool for some of this by
the way. But you have to know what the actions SW ratio is to use that.

Lots of stuff can get into this picture to be sure, and I've only
covered a bit of it. Looking forward to the other responses

Cheers
RicB

--
Richard Brekne