Action Geometry Consistency

Fri, 16 May 2003 19:14:03 +0200

Hi  Bradley

Reread this after your last post, and had a few comments.

Number one, you are getting two basic types of response, one goes to how
to fix things, and another goes to hide or distribute the errors. I
think you probably understand that things never get perfect, but they
can get pretty darn good.

Of course the 1/8th inch difference in blow you mention below reflects a
problem somewhere, and such a problem begs hunting down. Knuckles are as
has been said by several, a good first place to look, but in the end
there are several things that can cause or contribute to the cause of
such a problem.

One of the best diagnostics is a good solid routine for regulating in
the first place. If you know certain things are  <<good>> as it were you
can rule those out. I think that first getting all four whippen
adjustments dead on will insure that you can be very certain that letoff
and drop are as good as the action will allow. You have to get several
other adjustments pretty close for this, but once thats as good as its
going to get, then refining the rest in a methodical manner can be very
revealing.

Ending with the key dip final refinement allows you to both hide the
smaller problems in probably the best place to hide them, and at the
same time allow you several oportunities along the way to identify
problems.

Its also good to have in the back of your mind a few things we know
about actions. BW and a known ratio can tell you whether you are looking
at a ratio anomaly or not. Friction problems can be sometimes misleading
as well, so knowing how to identify anomalies with either can be a big
help. Its handy to know what you can rule out ahead of time.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.