Odd, [but very good] Hammer Butt

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 15 May 2003 09:34:13 +1000

--============_-1159167239==_ma============
Patrick, Alan and all,

At 10:04 PM +0100 14/5/03, Alan Forsyth wrote:

>. . . methinks this is an upright action's version of a repetition lever. Does
>this action have tapes?

Absolutely Alan, it is indeed a repetition lever. What a beautiful
idea to be born before 1885, then promptly forgotten.

At 11:12 AM -0700 14/5/03, Patrick C.Poulson wrote:

>Hello All: I have taken in an upright with an unusual hammer butt,
>which is shown in the attached jpeg.

>  It has a little lever coming from the back of the catcher, which
>catches the tip of the jack after letoff. It is actuated by a
>spring. I plan to replace the butts, unless there is some unknown
>reason for keeping these oddities . . . It is off of a 1885 Sohmer .
>. .

Don't toss it Patrick, rebuild it. Thanks for posting it to the list.
This little repetition lever has everything that a good design should
with three exceptions. Firstly, there is no fine adjustment for the
spring loading, secondly the spring coil is offset relative to the
repetition lever center (which will result in the spring rubbing
where it contacts the repetition lever, like most but not all of the
modern grand roller actions), and lastly, there is no adjustment
screw for the repetition lever stop position (drop height).
Otherwise, it is quite an innovative design. The blue felt is
equivalent to the jack stop felt in the throat of a conventional
grand wippen, while the small red felt on the upper side of the lever
functions as a repetition over-travel stop, performing the function
of the repetition-stop-wire on the earlier USA style of grand
actions. I see the hammer butt illustrated also had a tape once -
good idea to retain it, if for nothing more making service a
convenience.

With a proper redesign this action could be made it something
worthwhile. This action would have all the benefits of the grand
action, without the accompanying roller friction.

Ron O.
--
_______________________

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY