Steinway D Bridge

Blaine Hebert blaine.hebert@att.net
Wed, 14 May 2003 18:14:15 -0700

I recently tuned a Steinway D (1925?) that had a mid - treble bridge
with pins that were distinctly non - parallel to the capo bar.  The pins
were nearly set parallel to the bridge itself with three distinctly
different string lengths per unison.  A nearby 1912 D and all other
instruments I have seen have bridge notches with the speaking lengths
equal.  I noticed no significantly different tone qualities from this
manner of scale design.  The bridge seems to be original and un
modified.

This seems to negate some suggestions that parallel agraffes are
essential.

Any comments?

Blaine Hebert