Henry F. Miller

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 15 May 2003 09:51:47 EDT

In a message dated 5/15/03 3:30:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
cedel@supernet.com writes:

> So they're making Henry F. Miller pianos again!  I used to tune a couple
> carefully built old uprights, and I tune at least one cheap 1960s era
> spinet by the same name.  Now they're entry level Chinese.  What's in a
> name?  Not much, when it comes to pianos.  Just an observation, and not a

Clyde,

They are Pearl River pianos, at least the ones that I've seen are.  I do
believe that Sherman-Clay owns the name and has them built by whichever
Chinese factory gives them the best deal.

When I asked my jazz piano playing friend what kind of piano she was playing
at her gig, she said, "I don't know, it's a Harry Potter, or something like
that...."  It was a Henry F. Miller.  That's the one with the excessively
heavy action that for which I was looking for a quick and non-permanent
remedy(it's a rental).

While I don't think they're the greatest pianos in the world, they are many
steps up from the Aeolian garbage from the 60s and 70s that bore that name.

Dave Stahl