Planing Bridge Cap

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Thu, 15 May 2003 15:32:49 -0400

Terry,

I gauge the bridge cap in the piano with a Bridge float or carving
gouge. I determine the tilt of the cap with the bearing strings in the
grooves. Once it is right I mark the bottom of the groove with a pencil.
I remove the Soundboard and plane the cap to the pencil marks.

Check the photo on my site. You should see the pencil marks in the photo.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979