ca glue as pin tightener - idiots guide please

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Thu, 15 May 2003 09:04:32

Hi Paul,

1. Mark any pins with chalk that are "extra" loose.
2. Inspect the bridges (may as well do any hairline cracks)
3. Put down plastic or several layers of newspaper
4. lay 2 x 4's down
5. tip piano onto 2 x 4's
6. do the bridges
7. apply glue to the "marked" pins, don't be stingy with the application.
8. check the bridges and add more glue if necessary
9. start in bass and apply at the base of each pin
10. check the bridges and add more glue if necessary
11. start over again in bass
12. check the bridges and add more glue if necessary
13. start over again in bass and stop at the first plain steel wire
14. leave piano on it's back for 48 to 72 hours.

Any brand water thin CA glue works well. Some are less smelly. Do ventilate
the area. If the pins have been treated with other pin tighteners the CA
glue works even better. If any pins "freeze" in place give them a tap with
a tuning pin punch and hammer to break the glue joint. Be careful as the
pins may become so tight they will shear off, better to give them a tap
when in doubt.

For grands remove the action and place several layers of newspaper in the
action cavity. Some people are now turning grand pianos over and applying
to the bottom of the pin, I can not speak to that method.

I have used as much as 6 ounces of glue on an upright. I feel this is a
"one shot in the dark" so I'd rather use lots of glue.

Did I miss anything?

At 10:05 AM 5/15/2003 EDT, you wrote:
>Upright (but info re grand would also be useful!)
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca