ca glue as pin tightener - idiots guide please

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Thu, 15 May 2003 11:18:54 -0700 (PDT)

This sounds good to me, but let me add these
recommendations, please.

1)Pre-Tighten all plate bolts. The CA WILL spread
around under the plate web, so you might as well have
the web as close to the block face as possible, ( So
they get glued together nice and tight!!! ( Ha Ha! ))
Good idea anyway, on a piano this old.
2)Pre-tune the piano ( roughly ). This may be
particularly important on a grand, if you turn it
over, as the CA can put caps over the ends of the
pins, inhibiting further downward travel ( and maybe
even causing the block to delaminate when you tune
it!)
3) Instead of tapping the pins, just turn them
backwards a little to break the rigid bond, then pull
to pitch. Much easier
     Thump