Laminated ribs.

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 15 May 2003 12:08:09 -0500

>Ron,
>
>Could you give me a little more explanation of this?  By loading the
>outside of the curve, in the case of a piano rib, do you mean a load that
>would be pushing the rib down (such as typical string loading)?  Why would
>the feathering make the rib more likely to split from loading one way than
>the other?
>
>Phil F

Just because the end support is at the top of the beam as it is used in a
piano, rather than at the bottom. All the wood (exposed end grain in the
feathering) from the support down is under tension when you load the rib.
If the same configuration was loaded from the other side, the end support
would be at the bottom of the rib and all that wood with open end grain
would be under compression.

Ron N