tuning multiple keyboard instruments

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Thu, 15 May 2003 15:45:59 +0000

I'll keep this RCT specific, since that was the question.

When tuninig two together, it's helpful to find out how they will be used.
For a Suzuki piano studio, where they will be played in unison, the should
be tuned differently from duet use, where the same note is usually not
played by both pianos.

For duet use, I like the analogy of a wind duet, where each instrument has
its own voice.  So, to proceed with RCT, measure both instruments first.
Calculate your "best" tuning using whatever custom method you do.  There
will usually be one 'primary' instrument, so keep that one closest to your
"best" tuning.  Now, by comparing the graphs and using the custom equalizer,
begin by getting C8 on both instruments close together.  The goal is to let
RCT fill in the middle, but have some landmarks end up close to the same.
Move them both, but keep the primary one closest to it's origional tuning.
It's a judgement call, you can always just tune the A's and check to make
sure the octaves will work before tuning the whole thing.

I never had much luck using the average function to make a 'blended' file.
Neither piano came out as good as I'd like....

For unison tuning, well, that's just going take some time, because each
unison's got to be checked.  With all the retuning and checking to make sure
you don't compromise either tuning too much.  The good news, is that after
you do it the first time, you will be able to save those tunings.  The next
time should go quicker.

Ron Koval