Ya don need a Bosendorfer?

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 15 May 2003 17:18:11 EDT

Greetings,
   Here is a new one on me, it comes from the piano-L list:

>>Jonathan Gonder performed the Bach-Busoni Chaconne in d
minor.  In one of the passages, near the end of the piece, the very lowest
notes of the piano were heard fortissimo in a descending line which went
beyond the lowest A of the piano to a G.

Jon said how this tone was produced, I can't remember what he said
other than that he struck two notes, a fourth apart, and that in doing so,
the low G was produced.  He said that organists do this to compensate when
they do not have pipes which go low enough.

Can anyone explain this to me? <<

Ideas, anyone?

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/