Plea for help ( last time ) nasty Baldwin SF grand treble.(so-called "Resonators")

Fri, 16 May 2003 10:35:28 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "gordon stelter" <lclgcnp@yahoo.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 15, 2003 1:51 PM
Subject: Re: Plea for help ( last time ) nasty Baldwin SF grand
treble.(so-called "Resonators")

> Yes, apparently. I haven't gotten back to the piano
> ( will do that tomorrow ), and I will try temporary
> tape on the waste ends to observe the effect, and I
> did just find my own personal archives on this subject
> from the last time I griped about it.
> ( Suggesting string leveling, drenching the hammers in
> acetone, a reference to Susan's 2000 article on these
> particular beasts, etc..
>      But I would still appreciate your additional
> comments, if you have any.
>     Thanks!
>     Gordon

The front termination piece used on the SF-10 and SD-10 was (is) basically
a good idea. The problem with it is that, for the length of the frontscale,
the string termination angle is too shallow. Or you could say that for the
string deflection angle the frontscale is too long. The two are related. As
with the traditional "tuned-duplex" front scale configurations this
combination makes the piano very susceptible to string noises of various
kinds as it ages. Sometime even before it ages.

That there was string noise problem was discovered early on and it was
especially prevalent on certain notes. So these notes got a slightly
modified piece--the frontscale was made slightly shorter (from approx. 48
mm to approx. 42 mm) and the deflection angle was increased (from approx.
16º to approx. 18º. Had the entire set been changed to this configuration
the problem would have been reduced to a manageable level. But they were
not so excessive string noises continue to be a problem with this design.
(Because of the screw hole locations it is not possible to interchange the
two.)

There are two solutions. One is a stopgap but is fairly easy to accomplish.
It helps to reduce the various noises, but does not really solve the
problem. The other is almost 100% effective and is permanent but is
somewhat expensive and much more time-consuming.

The first is to simply insert a piece of either very hard stringing felt or
leather beneath the strings just above the front screw. This should be
thick enough to actually deflect the strings somewhat when they are up to
pitch.

The second is to grind off the front bearing bar and replace it with a
piece of 5/8" (16 mm) half-round brass extrusion. This increases the string
deflection angle to approx. 21º and reduces the frontscale length to
approx. 42 mm. The result is a much cleaner and efficient front
termination. The noises will not return. Period. The only difficulty will
be getting the front string bearing bar, or riser, removed. These things
are hardened. Our machine shop bitched and moaned and sent us a big bill.

(When I refer to the front of the termination piece it means toward the
front of the piano.)

Del