Action Geometry Consistency

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Fri, 16 May 2003 11:31:27 EDT

In a message dated 5/16/2003 8:14:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,
bradley@rice.edu writes:

> The intent behind my question was "how can I fix the problem,"
> not "how can I compensate for it."

Bradley,

Fixing the problem entails finding where the leverage differs. Individual
variances are most often in the most highly levered places, like the knuckle,
where very small variations in either height or placement can affect the
leverage significantly. I suppose the capstan could be out of line, but that
is less common.

Irregularities at the repetition support flange, such as machining
differences or excessive traveling papers can change the spread.

Did you get my earlier message about scooting hammer flanges?

>>In some cases, though, it isn't the knuckle that's misplaced - it's that
the flange has been placed carelessly on the screw, especially on
non-shaped-rail types. It can be as simple as moving the flange a little
under the screw. There's often plenty of room in the screw hole. This may
disturb the in/out line of the hammer, but you can decide at that point
whether to correct or ignore that.<<

Isaac also mentioned papering shank flanges forward/backward slightly.

Bob Davis