Action Geometry Consistency

Bradley M. Snook bradley@rice.edu
Fri, 16 May 2003 11:25:12 -0500

Bob Davis: "Fixing the problem entails finding where the leverage =
differs. Individual variances are most often in the most highly levered =
places, like the knuckle, where very small variations in either height =
or placement can affect the leverage significantly."
This is really good advise, thank you.

>Did you get my earlier message about scooting hammer flanges?=20
Yes. . . but unfortunately I am dealing with the shaped-rail type, hence =
the multitude of irregularities.

>Isaac also mentioned papering shank flanges forward/backward slightly.=20
I tried this, and it seemed to not to been extremly effective, but then =
again I may have been going at the problem incorrectly; I'll need to try =
it again. I think that what may complicate the matter of shimming the =
shank flange higher (front side) or lower (rear side) is that by doing =
so you slightly change the location of the knuckle. I put a straight =
edge on the very front edge of the flange and noticed that there was =
really a straight line anywhere, but this could simply mean that the =
wood surrounding the centerpin is not equal. Maybe instead I could shim =
the shank flange to change the knuckle position, then shim the wippen =
flange if there are any irregularities in the spread.

Bradley