Sliding pins

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Fri, 16 May 2003 13:27:46 -0300

Hi Mike,
The flanges with the sliding pins, are they ones that have the plates and screws, holding them in place?
If they are, the problem was caused by the humidity fluctuations.
If the pins can be pushed back in place without damaging the bushing, then just push them into place and tighten the screw. If the pins are loose, repin.
I do not recommend the metal pin retainers, at all.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mike Kurta
  To: PTG List
  Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 8:04 AM
  Subject: Sliding pins

      Hi All:
      I keep running across older Yamaha consoles, mainly schools and churches that have hammer shank pins that have slid sideways.  Often they've moved so far as to cause hammer wobble and even inoperative hammers.  Because of cost limitations I've been able to pry most of these back into position and dab a bit of Titebond over the end of the flange to keep the pin in place.
      I know these need repinning, but so far this has worked.  Aside from the metal pin retainers sold to limit pin movement, is there  a better way besides repinning I should consider?
      Mike Kurta