Aftertouch, WAS Re: Action Geometry Consistency

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 17 May 2003 01:07:21 -0400

At 3:01 PM -0500 5/16/03, Avery Todd wrote:
>Bill,
>
>I don't understand this. The aftertouch is "part" of the dip. It
>sounds like you're regulating
>them independently!

I sure am. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread (and I can
support that claim <g>)

The dip can be whatever it and the blow and LO have worked out
together. The aftertouch is always found measuring up from the key
dip, with a standard amount, say 50 mils. That's the aftertouch
interval of the key stroke.

I'm not actually setting the dip to a specific amount. I'm letting it
be a function of aftertouch. Aftertouch in turn is a function of
blow, LO and action ratio. The first three determine how soon the
jack fly will hit the LO button. The key travels a little deeper into
dip and at a certain point, it comes through the bottom end of
escapement. At that point my finger measures 50 mils of travel. The
dip ends up being 50 mils below the bottom side of escapement.

To review dip is an automatic function of the end of let-off, which
in turn is a function of blow, LO and action ratio (Strike Balance
Ratio). Since aftertouch is determine by the action as a whole , with
specific figures for blow and LO, dip can be what ever it is going to
be. But by definition, dip is to be 50 mils below the bottom of
escapement, because the action is based on a uniform aftertouch.

There's plenty of good reason to make the foundation a uniform
aftertouch. So much depends on it. Repetition considers it to be
unnecessary return travel  in resetting the action, especially for
quick & deep repetition. But without it, LO, drop and check can't
happen. Dip of course is the basis for damper lever height and check
height. But these are peripheral compared to what is lost when after
touch is not provided. So why not take advantage of the ability to
set aftertouch by itself, and make sure that t is even.

At 10:20 AM -0500 5/16/03, Bradley M. Snook wrote:
>I went back a read my original email; I guess it may have been slightly
>ambiguous. The intent behind my question was "how can I fix the problem,"
>not "how can I compensate for it." Compensation is something that I do all
>the time. At this point I am looking to approach the problem from a
>different perspective. Before I try all kinds of crazy things that may or
>may not work, I thought that I might first learn from what others have
>already tried.

And you've certainly been given alot of ideas in the last few days.
If you can get rid of such errors, by all means do so. But you might
keep track of your time. Beyond a certain point (ie., eliminating the
out-layers), the time could be more fruitfully spent on "eliminating
the error" in voicing. That's what pianists are after.

At 6:24 PM -0500 5/16/03, Cy Shuster wrote:
>Is there any benefit to a consistant hammer line, other than how it
>looks?  (Perhaps, as you suggest, it's simply an indication of other
>adjustments?)

I'd prefer to have it a straight line. Much easier to restore when it
wears and sags. And I still like  the reverse "economies of scale" to
be had in the dip. 0.125 of blow divided by an action ratio of 5.5 is
22.7 mils, which is 5.8% in the dip, but 45.4% of a 50 mil dip. Put a
20 mil cardboard punching on a table and run your finger across it.
Imagine the dip decreasing by that amount, then the aftertouch
decreasing by that amount. If the aftertouch is uniform across the
keyboard, the pianist won't notice the change in dip. They will
notice that all the things which depend on uniform aftertouch are
working.

They'll also notice more the time you put into voicing.

IMHO.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Can you check out this middle C?. It "whangs' - (or twangs?)
     Thanks so much, Ginger"
     ...........Service Request