strings measures

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 18 May 2003 10:17:14 +1000

--============_-1158905458==_ma============
St=E9phane,

>Does anyone have a good trick for acurately measuring string
>diameters while still in the piano ?
>I normally use a micrometer on broken strings, but it is impossible
>to put it between the strings that are still in place.  I found that
>caliper measurements are not accurate enough for proper use.

What you require is a multi-anvil micrometer. I have been using one
for many years to measure the strings in the piano. It is
particularly handy when you are dealing with a broken bass string,
since you can measure the cover and core diameters of the adjacent
strings in the piano without letting the tension off.

The above image, of the Mitutoyo 117-101, 0-25 mm metric micrometer
(they also make an Imperial measurement version), was taken from the
Mitutoyo website at;

http://www.mitutoyo.com/cat2000a/l-39.htm

These micrometers come with a round and flat anvil. The round anvil
is used for measuring tube wall thickness. They are more expensive
than a standard micrometer, but you'll have it for the rest of your
working life. My multi-anvil is a Starrett, but the Mutitoyo is
better made.

Best,
Ron O.

--