strings measures

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Sun, 18 May 2003 02:53:13 +0200

------=_NextPart_001_000C_01C31CE8.9FF1A4F0
Re: strings measuresThanks a lot, Ron.

St=E9phane.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ron Overs=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2003 2:17 AM
  Subject: Re: strings measures

  St=E9phane,

    Does anyone have a good trick for acurately measuring string =
diameters while still in the piano ?
    I normally use a micrometer on broken strings, but it is impossible =
to put it between the strings that are still in place.  I found that =
caliper measurements are not accurate enough for proper use.

  What you require is a multi-anvil micrometer. I have been using one =
for many years to measure the strings in the piano. It is particularly =
handy when you are dealing with a broken bass string, since you can =
measure the cover and core diameters of the adjacent strings in the =
piano without letting the tension off.

  The above image, of the Mitutoyo 117-101, 0-25 mm metric micrometer =
(they also make an Imperial measurement version), was taken from the =
Mitutoyo website at;

  http://www.mitutoyo.com/cat2000a/l-39.htm

  These micrometers come with a round and flat anvil. The round anvil is =
used for measuring tube wall thickness. They are more expensive than a =
standard micrometer, but you'll have it for the rest of your working =
life. My multi-anvil is a Starrett, but the Mutitoyo is better made.

  Best,
  Ron O.

--=20
_______________________