piano appraisal

Classic Touch Ent classictouchent@comcast.net
Mon, 19 May 2003 09:50:52 -0400

Wim & Greg,

This is a very good suggestion. One need look no further than the=20
descriptions/assessments/appraisals on ebay to discover the abuse of the
terms 'art case', 'grand', and 'concert grand'. (I swear near every=20
make of piano has been described there as 'the piano' of the=20
Metropolitan
Opera'.)

Best, Rich

On Monday, May 19, 2003, at 09:36 AM, Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> Greg
>
> It would be interesting to find out if this is truly a "changeable=20
> pitch" piano. The only one I've ever seen was a birdcage. and I think=20=

> they were made only in England.
>
> On a side note, however, I want to make this comment. As much as we=20
> all think we might know enough to appraise a piano from the customer's=20=

> description, there is only one accurate way to appraise a piano. We=20
> need to impress upon our customers that they have to pay for such=20
> service, especially when they start saying things like "changeable=20
> pitch" and "ornate case." I've learned that one person's opinion of=20
> "fancy" and mine are sometimes totally on the opposite ends.
>
> I would suggest you e-mail her back and tell her to set up and=20
> appointment, and pay you for your service.
>
> Wim
>
> In a message dated 5/18/03 11:43:32 PM Central Daylight Time,=20
> gnewell@ameritech.net writes:
>
> Greetings list members,
> =A0=A0=A0=A0 I have recently been contacted by someone via email. She =
wants to
> get rid of this piano and would like to get a general idea of it's=20
> worth
> before attempting to sell it. She writes;
>

> Do you by chance conduct appraisals? I have a 1900 Vough upright=20
> changeable
> pitch piano that I wish to sell and can not find a piano appraiser.
>
> and
>
> This piano is in poor shape with a couple missing pieces of ivory and=20=

> a few
> broken keys. The case is very ornate and walnut in color. The patent=20=

> date
> is January 9, 1900, made in Waterloo, NY. Serial # 3509. It is a=20
> upright
> changeable pitch piano.
>

> Do any of you have an idea what information I might be able to share=20=

> with
> this contact?
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Greg Newell