Kids' cartoon

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 19 May 2003 20:44:39 -0500

Funny how fiction often becomes fact. I made the exact same diagnosis and
repairs on a piano just last week. Ladybugs often cause this problem and a
warm blanket will drive them out. I think I learned that from Randy Potter
in a "Getting the Bugs Out" workshop. One thing, though: Most ladybugs don't
actually have the strength to push up piano lids by themselves; they must
use a tiny little hydraulic jack or get a gentlemanbug to help out.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Paul Mulik
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 8:58 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Kids' cartoon

I thought I'd share this humorous story with all of you; forgive me if it's
been discussed before.

Those of you with small kids may be familiar with an animated TV show called
"Oswald the Octopus" (it's one of my daughter's favorites).  In the episode
that aired yesterday, entitled "Fixing the Piano," Oswald's upright had a
note that wouldn't play properly, so Oswald decided to take his piano to
"the piano doctor."  Apparently in Oswald's city, piano technicians don't
make house calls.  The problem was that when he played a certain key, two
notes sounded (apparently the result of a misaligned hammer -- actually, to
achieve the desired sound, the show's music editor simply played two
adjacent keys simultaneously -- but I digress).

Oswald called his friend Henry the Penguin to help him, but the piano was
too heavy for them to move.  They solved this problem by putting roller
skates under it (they had no difficulty lifting it straight up to get the
skates underneath).  After getting sidetracked several times, Oswald finally
got the piano to the piano doctor (a bunny rabbit) who listened to the
problem and attempted to fix it by placing a large Band-Aid on the cabinet.
When that didn't work, he deduced that the instrument must have had a
"chill," which he tried to remedy by covering the keyboard with a blanket,
but as luck would have it, that didn't work either.  Turns out the problem
was caused by a ladybug that had gotten inside the cabinet.  Finally, the
ladybug pushed up the lid and flew out, and all was well.

Paul Mulik
Joplin, MO