Thar She Blows!

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 20 May 2003 08:11:45 -0500

Thanks, Wim. Actually, these hammers were incredibly worn and smoothly flat
as the flange bushings had all failed. The rest rail felt was more dirt than
wool and deeply grooved and worn. So I made no attempt to measure blow. You
are right tho, and I sure should have measured key height, although that
wouldn't have been accurate either--the felts were all bug-eaten, the paper
was mostly missing, and the keyframe was completely full--and
overflowing--with dust and who-knows what else. *It was horrible. This job
was not so much a rebuild as a resurrection. I actually tried hard to
discourage the client from doing anything!

Alan
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Wimblees@aol.com
  Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 10:03 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Re: Thar She Blows!

  In a message dated 5/19/03 9:31:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
tune4u@earthlink.net writes:

    Replaced hammers, shanks, butts, keytops, and almost all
felts--including
    key rest and hammer rest rail--in an old upright.

    I won't have any trouble getting a good-looking and good-working key
height
    based on keyslip, nameboard, and available dip but I have to settle on a
    blow distance before going further.

    The set-up, with new parts, is about halfway between 1 5/8" and 1 3/4"

    Does yourall's (I made up the word) experience think that is good enough
or
    should I rip out the rest rail felts and re-shim it .... and if so,
should I
    go for 1 3/4" or 1 7/8"?

    Is there a simple way to decide this, or do I need to completely
regulate 3
    or 4 keys before I know it will work?

    One other factor, maybe not too relevant to the discussion. It has long,
    tall dowel-capstan type stickers.

    Alan Barnard
    Salem, MO

  Alan

  Before doing any kind of major rebuilding like this, you HAVE to take
measurements of what's there, even if you think you can improve on it. But
since you didn't, most older uprights had a blow distance of 1 7/8". Start
with that, and see how everything falls into place.

  Wim