Thar She Blows!

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 20 May 2003 08:21:44 -0500

Thanks. A few comments on that leverage thing--or pointers to previous
discussions--would probably interest a lot of folks. If'n ya didn't mind ...

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Bill Ballard
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 9:58 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Thar She Blows!

At 9:30 PM -0500 5/19/03, <tune4u@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Does yourall's (I made up the word) experience think that is good enough or
>should I rip out the rest rail felts and re-shim it .... and if so, should
>go for 1 3/4" or 1 7/8"?

Now, why would you do that before you'd completely regulated 3 or 4
keys to find out what else might not be working, or might need a
specific amount.

>Is there a simple way to decide this, or do I need to completely regulate 3
>or 4 keys before I know it will work?

The best way  to find out. It's also good practice in regulating.
Tryust me, you'll find regulating a few samples very rewarding.

>One other factor, maybe not too relevant to the discussion. It has long,
>tall dowel-capstan type stickers.

Relevant enough. You can adjust the leverage by bending he dowel
wires in or out. More on that if you need it.

Go have yourself a whale of a time.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Filing the bridgepins sure puts a sparkle on the restringing, but is
best done before the plate is re-installed"
     ...........recent shop journal entry