Bridge Pin Height Regulation, was: More, More (was Re:Thar She Blows!)

Wed, 21 May 2003 16:28:40 +0200

> >What do bridge pin pounders that don't like to file use to regulate bridge
> >pin height. I find that using a little piece of wood as a gauge seems to
> >work well until you are finished, and then you realize your pin heights
> >are still undulating. Then if you go and try and touch up, you end up with
> >some pins just too darn short.

I have yet to notch and drill a brand new bridge, but I have tried various
approaches to replacing bridge pins and after all is said and done, I've come
to the conclusion that pounding the pins in is not a positive to begin with. I
use a pin size that is just slim enough that I can insert it with my fingers,
and I fill the hole first with thin epoxy so that when the pin goes in it
squezzes the glue up and around the pin hole opening forming a collar which I
clean off.

This seems to give the best results both in the immediate and over the long
term. It also takes care of whatever benifit may be had from the pins being
inserted all the way to the bottom of the hole, as the epoxy takes up whatever
space is there. Pins can all be of the same length to begin with, just make
sure they are short enough for the shalowest hole that they'll go in deep
enough so that you can minimize (or leave out altogether) the whole filing
process.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne