Bedevilled by a Baldwin yet again

Paul McCloud pmc303@ricochet.com
Thu, 22 May 2003 07:34:51 -0700

Dave:

            Yesterday I came up with a nifty idea for getting rid of
that disturbing click on a Baldwin Hamilton.  The piano had been sold
with the promise (!) that I would take care of the noise.  After boldly
declaring it was simply not possible to do without replacing the hammer
butts, I swallowed my pride and realized the sale would fall through if
I didn't do something quick!   What I did was to place a self adhesive
felt dot (the kind you put under objects you don't want to scratch the
surface they sit on) about 3/8" diameter on the back edge of the jack
tip, with the felt just peeking over the tip edge.  The felt is thus on
the butt side and does move the jack out slightly away from the butt.
You just want to cushion the leading edge of the jack tip so it doesn't
make that sound.  The self adhesive barely covers the edge and just a
little on the jack top insures the felt will stay there.  Long term I
don't know if this will be permanent, but at least the piano will stay
sold.

            If you do this repair, I would offer the following procedure
to save you time.  I wasted hours removing each whippen, installing the
felt and replacing the whippen.   I did two sections until I realized
how it could be done much easier and faster.  I removed all the bridle
tapes, then the letoff rail.  I used an action jig to lay the action
face down.  The jack tips could then be accessed easily.  I used acetone
to remove the dag from the tips so the adhesive would stick better.

            I had to do a little regulating afterwards.  The lost motion
will be disturbed, as well as the letoff adjustment.  Most hammers were
blocking after I installed the felts.

            Bottom line is, if you can't soften the butt leather, why
not soften the jack tip (edge)?  I'd have rather had a system to cut the
edge of the jack and install some kind of rubber, but this would have
taken more time than to replace the butts.

            FWIW.  Hope it helps.

            Paul McCloud

            San Diego