Bedevilled by a Baldwin yet again

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Mon, 19 May 2003 22:25:05 EDT

List,

I was finally able to get back to my friend's house to check out the Baldwin
Studio that was making a really obnoxious clicking noise.  I went out to the
lady's house today to try to solve the problem.  Well, I was right....there
was not enough keydip!  It took me awhile to figure out what was causing the
noise.  Turns out it was the backslap of the jack on the corfam that was
creating the sound.  The harder I hit it the harder it slapped back.  The
nanosecond delay also confused me and made it seem almost like a rattle.

I gave it a quick remedy:  I de-regulated the let-off buttons half a turn,
and voila, the clacking was gone in every key.  The jacks were now a couple
of millimeters away from the rock-hard corfam on the rebound due to the
introduction of more aftertouch.

I did not have time to regulate the keyheight and keydip this afternoon, but
those are the next things I will check.  Increasing let-off distance is a
very temporary remedy.  There is nowhere near the power in the hammer blow as
there was before my "fix." But the noise that was driving Linda buggy is a
thing of the past.

Thanks for all of the input!

Dave Stahl