No Power Yamaha revisited

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 22 May 2003 21:58:28 +0200

But, Richard, that is felt in the tone and in the key if the bedding
is not firm enough.

When playing hard the back of the frame tend to lift up, may be you
may check the holding of the rail there.

If too much pressure on the screws, the tone became more "woody" and
straight, the more power that you have is also coming from the letoff
which is nearer, but mostly (I believe)  because the hammer center pin
is then higher, and if the hammers are less tall than originally this
correct the geometry of the hammer towards the strings a little.

For what is worth, the point by point method as explained by Andre
works every time - but you are supposed to know what key height is the
norm for the model, it helps a lot to have an even ratio between
blacks and whites, and put the keys in their optimum position for
regulation.

Thanks for the feedback.

BTW I bed the keybed of a C6 today, with the regulating screws a good
2-3 mm lower, the key height was 64.5 mm, allowing for 10 mm dip,
measured with the nice brown 9.95 mm dip block from Yamaha.

The Yamaha (-French) explanation about the use of this tool (and why
it is not really exactly 10 mm) is that it is easier to feel the block
while it is a little lower than the adjacent keys, we aim for the same
sensation than the little play in the jack's windows. I like these
over simplified approaches !

Best greetings

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.