No Power Yamaha revisited

Thu, 22 May 2003 22:43:15 +0200

Isaac OLEG wrote:

> But, Richard, that is felt in the tone and in the key if the bedding
> is not firm enough.

Yes... I know this Issac... its what I have been questioning about for a
while now. The problem was not the firmness in the bedding, but the fact
that the glide bolts werent forcing the balance rail up high enough,
evidently anyways. You refer to this as putting the action under
compression I think, yet I find no exacting proceedure for setting this
anywhere.

> When playing hard the back of the frame tend to lift up, may be you
> may check the holding of the rail there.

I did all this many times... and it has been good tho the bedding was
lower.

> If too much pressure on the screws, the tone became more "woody" and
> straight, the more power that you have is also coming from the letoff
> which is nearer, but mostly (I believe)  because the hammer center pin
> is then higher, and if the hammers are less tall than originally this
> correct the geometry of the hammer towards the strings a little.

The increase in power did not come from any change in letoff. For the
first.. there was no uniform change, the power increase more than likely
came because the force that was put into the key is no longer getting
dissipated in all the flexing that was going on. There may have been a
slight change in blow distance, I didnt check because the increase in
aftertouch needed paying attention to then and there, so I just lowered
the line. But if so it was not very much. How much the hammer centers rose
is another thing. On the C7 I have I can pay closer attention to that. I
doubt tho that the slight change in hammer angle this would cause would
account for this increase in power.

That being said, the "feel" of the action under the differeing
circumstances seems to conform nicely to your first sentence. If I screw
them up to high I did get a woody character from the tone... I presumed
this was because the action itself was contributing to the sound more.

Another point was that I had to re-regulate back checks, and checking
could not be so high as before. Forced me down to 15 mm from the strings.
Any higher tho and the checks would hang on the tails on hard blows.

> For what is worth, the point by point method as explained by Andre
> works every time - but you are supposed to know what key height is the
> norm for the model, it helps a lot to have an even ratio between
> blacks and whites, and put the keys in their optimum position for
> regulation.

Thats the real trick tho isnt it.... ? I mean key height is suddenly
dependant on two things... balance pin punchings, and balance rail height.
How are you to determine one without knowing the other ? And like I say, I
have not run into any specifics about setting balance rail height
before... only bedding proceedures that state the glide bolts need only
make firm (all of them) contact with the keybed.

I would really appreciate seeing Andres point by point on this again... I
remember a post he wrote about glide bolts not so long ago.. but I dont
remember this being a point by point proceedure. If you have that please
post it :)