No Power Yamaha revisited

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Thu, 22 May 2003 18:12:52 -0400

Richard Brekne wrote:

> What I dont get is why the Balance Rail needs to be elevated so much.
> And how are we supposed to determine the proper balance rail height to
> begin with ? I was always told that glide bolts need to just make
> contact with the key bed... not to lift the whole darn middle of the key
> frame up.
>
> Explainations please ?

I don't have an explanation but I think that just having the glide bolts
kiss the bed is not the best way to bed the key frame. Changes in
humidity and forceful use of the pedals can cause problems. I adjust the
glide bolts to apply a little force to the key bed. Starting with the
one over the right pedal I turn it down until it takes a little pull to
lift it. I apply my foot to the right pedal and check again. I also
check it with my left foot on the left pedal (shifting the action) at
the same time. Work your way out from the first glide checking for good
pressure with the pedals in play. The end glides don't need as much
pressure as the ones toward the middle. Just make sure you don't over do
it and end up with the front rail lifting up.

Your balance rail must have been just barely floating above the bed if
is caused the hammers to dance. I am sure you are happy that you found
the true cause of the problem before you made a new hammer rail. It is
so easy to jump to conclusions in this business, I have done that many
times. Finding the problem is more than half the battle. Once again good
detective work and simple pianocraft win over impetuous re-engineering.

Congratulations and thank you, you saved us all a lot of effort. Now we
don't have to go forth and change the hammer rails on all those Yamaha
pianos!

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin