No Power Yamaha revisited (Yamaha says...)

PatchWick@aol.com PatchWick@aol.com
Thu, 22 May 2003 21:55:11 EDT

Hey list!

About 10 years ago I had the pleasure of attending Yamaha's "Little Red
Schoolhouse" session, where the small class was mentored by some of Yamaha's best,
including LaRoy Edwards who many of us have seen in workshops over the years
as well.  Great program. If you can get a dealer to sponsor you it is well
worth the time!

Anyway, the Yamaha method for bedding the key frame is simple and in my
experience works every time: Remove the stack so you can also remove the keys.
Tighten all screws in the bed, replace the stack (to "weight" the frame), and put
the frame back in the piano. Now set the glide bolts as you normally would.
Remove the stack, replace the keys and Voila! the perfect key bedding. After
bedding this way, then you set the key height (also done with the action in the
piano and the stack on - very slick). Finally the dip is set later in the
process when it can be done on each key individually taking into account the proper
distance as well as the correct or desired feel of the aftertouch.

will