No Power Yamaha revisited (Yamaha says...)

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Thu, 22 May 2003 21:27:49 -0500

At 9:55 PM -0400 5/22/03, PatchWick@aol.com wrote:
... the Yamaha method for bedding the key frame is simple and in my
experience works every time: Remove the stack so you can also remove
the keys. Tighten all screws in the bed, replace the stack (to
"weight" the frame), and put the frame back in the piano. Now set the
glide bolts as you normally would. Remove the stack, replace the keys
and Voila! the perfect key bedding ...

Will,

I've been doing the bedding process this way for many, many years.
Not certain when or where I picked it up. Just know it's gives great
access for any necessary adjustments to the glide bolts and the stack
gives enough weight as you say.

However, I don't set the glide bolts with the newspaper pull approach
anymore. Gave up on that a long time ago. I use the method outlined
in the Steinway manual. It's works perfectly, and it's never failed
to give an excellent bedding on any brand grand that I've experienced.

So maybe it should christened the YamaStein? or Yamaway? or Steinaha?
or SteinYama? or Wayaha? or AhaWay? Method   :-)

And what Ed Foote says about the feet of the stack not always
contacting the keyframe is paramount. I lightly glue in place balance
rail shims to take up any space that might exist. Makes for a really
solid contact!

Anyhow, there's valuable regulating & voicing information in those
manufacturer technical manuals. And one of the great places to pick
up some of those is at the Big One in Dallas this summer.

http://www.ptg.org/conv/2003/

Keith McGavern