Bridge Pin Height Regulation, was: More, More (was Re:TharShe Blows!)

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Thu, 22 May 2003 22:16:53 -0400

At 9:46 PM -0400 5/22/03, Farrell wrote:
>Another thing to keep in mind with epoxy - it relies on a mechanical
>bond between wood and epoxy and between metal and epoxy. It is
>recommended by West System that when bonding with epoxy to metal
>that the metal surface be sanded rough, coated with thin epoxy, and
>the epoxy sanded into the metal for the most secure bond.

Oh boy, this sounds like a job for a compulsive-obsessive!

>A nice new shiny bridge pin is not likely to establish a good bond
>to epoxy. I can chip epoxy off any glossy surface real easy when I
>get waste on it - my floor, table top, etc.

Are we really depending on the epoxy to glue the pin in the hole? I
thought we just wanted a tight fit, using epoxy's gap-filling
abilities. A pin in a raw maple hole isn't being glued in.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I gotta go ta woik...."
     ...........Ian Shoales, Duck's Breath Mystery Theater