String length

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Fri, 23 May 2003 07:53:15 +0200

Hello Wim

My purpose was to dig a bit into the string scaling theory.  I would =
like to understand better the way constructors deal with tension, =
inharmonicity, striking point, smooth changes in all this (following the =
article of Dave Roberts in PTG journals about 1981).
About string length measurements, I once again find myself with too =
large relative errors, certainly in the trebble section.

St=E9phane Collin
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 9:03 PM
  Subject: Re: String length

  In a message dated 5/22/03 1:45:58 PM Central Daylight Time, =
collin.s@skynet.be writes:

    Hello world.

    Now that we are here, with such fantastic feed back from all over =
the planet, does someone have a good trick for accurately measuring =
string length ?  I know this may sound stupid, but I am always =
astonished by good ideas that may come through.

    Regards.

    St=E9phane Collin.

  Why would you want to measure string length? It's the thickness that =
is important. The length is predetermined in the piano, from Vbar, or =
agraffs, to the bridge. (Unless you're rebuilding the piano, of course). =

  Wim