String length

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Fri, 23 May 2003 13:10:53 -0400

Stephane wrote:
>My purpose was to dig a bit into the string scaling theory.  I would
>like to understand better the way constructors deal with tension,
>inharmonicity, striking point, smooth changes in all this (following
>the article of Dave Roberts in PTG journals about 1981).
>About string length measurements, I once again find myself with too
>large relative errors, certainly in the trebble section.

Not much you can do about the relative errors up top, except measure
carefully. Keep in mind that the same relative errors pertain to the
designer and builder, so even if you could measure the actual
speaking lengths ultra-accurately the importance of those *exact*
dimensions as  they lie in front of you on that particular piano
would likely be of no consequence. As long as you stay within the
same limitations as the maker you're safe.

As for measuring string lengths I've tried quite a few systems over
the years, having measured numerous stringands in pianos. I always
take complete stringband data - and measure the longest string if the
bridge isn't notched, since it is the most critical. My preferred
approach is to record the string lengths on a tape since it goes much
more quickly than measuring in the piano, is easier and more
accurate. I use a strip cut from a sheet of mylar as a stable record.
It's also easy to push the thin strip up to the termination points
when space is cramped or frames and other bits get in the way. An
assistant is helpful to speed things up for the lower 1/3 of the
stringband, but you can do it alone too. For each trichord push the
end of the mylar up against the far termination point and mark a tick
for the close one. You'll end up with a strip of ticks that forms a
permanent record. Roll it up and store it in a camera film case if
you want to keep it.

Back at the ranch you lay the strip on your benchtop against a stop
referenced to a (permanent if you do a lot of such measuring)
measuring tape. Recording the lengths is accurate and quick as you
don't need to move or re-align anything.

Let us know how the micrometer works out for you with diameters.

Anyone any thoughts on disk vs anvil micrometers for diameters,
especially re: accuracy?

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett