Bridge Pin Height Regulation, was: More, More (was Re:TharSheBlows!)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 23 May 2003 07:29:15 -0400

Comments below:
 =20

> > > Why would a (very) little epoxy absorbing into the wood be a =
problem
> > ? If the bridge pin is only a tad smaller than the hole, there will
> > only be a small volume of epoxy filling any void space between pin =
and
> > wood. If the wood absorbs the epoxy, then there will be none or =
little
> > epoxy filling the void by the time it cures. Just a concern.
>=20
> Hmm... I rather think that some serious absorbtion would have to be
> going on for that to be a real concern. Course we cant actually look
> inside the hole with the pin in there to see.... but on the other =
hand,
> pins so treated dont exhibit the same kind of falseness this =
proceedure
> porports to cure for very long periods of time. In fact, I have yet to
> see this treatment fail over time, and I have seen mere pin =
replacement
> fail quite often.

Please keep in mind that I am not saying this is a bad thing to do - but =
rather just discussing concerns that have crossed my mind. As I said =
before, I have used this same procedure myself when refurbishing an old =
bridge. Epoxy will absorb into end grain quite readily. Take a block of =
maple and liberally coat the end grain. Even a very thick coat will =
usually absorb fully into the wood. When bonding endgrain to something, =
I usually plan on having to coat the end grain several times to get the =
endgrain saturated. In a bridge pin hole, two directions have end grain, =
and hence the general concern.

On a new bridge, I don't understand why you think it is advantageous to =
drill a loose-fitting hole for the bridge pin, as opposed to a snug fit =
- still swabbing the hole with epoxy on the snug fit.

> > > As will every thing... practice makes perfect and you get the hang
> > of how to
> > > accomplish this one successfully fairly easy. But what I like most
> > is the long
> > > term. Seems to stay solid for like ever. Another thing to keep in
> > mind with epoxy - it relies on a mechanical bond between wood and
> > epoxy and between metal and epoxy. It is recommended by West System
> > that when bonding with epoxy to metal that the metal surface be =
sanded
> > rough, coated with thin epoxy, and the epoxy sanded into the metal =
for
> > the most secure bond. A nice new shiny bridge pin is not likely to
> > establish a good bond to epoxy. I can chip epoxy off any glossy
> > surface real easy when I get waste on it - my floor, table top,
> > etc. Terry Farrell
>=20
> Yes, well we are not talking about bonding here. We are talking more =
of
> an alternative method of making for a tight fit for the pin.  I dont =
use
> epoxy in bridge pin holes because I want to glue anything together. I
> use it to make sure the pin is as solidly snug and supported as is
> possible. It also seems to do a nice job of counteracting the effects =
of
> changing climates on the bridge pin holes, as I dont see these showing
> signs of hole expansion through the years. Seems to be less of those
> small cracks out from the pin that seem to always go nearly
> perpendicular and slightly downwards from the string plane, but that
> might be a biased perspective on my part... sometimes hard to tell =
about
> that kind of thing :)

Again, just bringing up some thoughts. Some folks do think that a pin =
will bond into the hole when using epoxy. There have been posts in the =
past about concerns regarding difficulty of removing bridge pins that =
have been epoxied into their holes. In a refurbished bridge, I think =
epoxy is essential to fill voids in a poor pin/hole fit and to fill the =
eye-corner cracks so common next to bridge pins. On a new bridge I don't =
know that it is necessary, but it certainly can't hurt anything, and can =
only serve to fill any small void related to drilling imperfections (on =
a tight fitting pin), and to strengthen the wood immediately next to the =
pin as some epoxy will be absorbed into the wood fibers.

It seems to me that a standard tight pin/hole pin driven into an =
epoxy-wabbed hole would be fully advantageous as it has the advantage of =
traditional direct wood support, some frictional resistance to pin =
movement and the benefits of epoxy, whereas a loose pin/hole fit would =
only rely on the epoxy which does have some softness associated with it =
- its not a brittle super-hard material. And please, this is discussion =
- lets discuss apparent or potential advantages/disadvantages - as I am =
only trying to seek out what appears to be the best method to install a =
bridge pin.

Terry Farrell