Bridge Pin Height Regulation, was: More, More (was Re:TharSheBlows!)

Fri, 23 May 2003 12:39:53 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> > Why would a (very) little epoxy absorbing into the wood be a problem
> ? If the bridge pin is only a tad smaller than the hole, there will
> only be a small volume of epoxy filling any void space between pin and
> wood. If the wood absorbs the epoxy, then there will be none or little
> epoxy filling the void by the time it cures. Just a concern.

Hmm... I rather think that some serious absorbtion would have to be
going on for that to be a real concern. Course we cant actually look
inside the hole with the pin in there to see.... but on the other hand,
pins so treated dont exhibit the same kind of falseness this proceedure
porports to cure for very long periods of time. In fact, I have yet to
see this treatment fail over time, and I have seen mere pin replacement
fail quite often.

> > As will every thing... practice makes perfect and you get the hang
> of how to
> > accomplish this one successfully fairly easy. But what I like most
> is the long
> > term. Seems to stay solid for like ever. Another thing to keep in
> mind with epoxy - it relies on a mechanical bond between wood and
> epoxy and between metal and epoxy. It is recommended by West System
> that when bonding with epoxy to metal that the metal surface be sanded
> rough, coated with thin epoxy, and the epoxy sanded into the metal for
> the most secure bond. A nice new shiny bridge pin is not likely to
> establish a good bond to epoxy. I can chip epoxy off any glossy
> surface real easy when I get waste on it - my floor, table top,
> etc. Terry Farrell

Yes, well we are not talking about bonding here. We are talking more of
an alternative method of making for a tight fit for the pin.  I dont use
epoxy in bridge pin holes because I want to glue anything together. I
use it to make sure the pin is as solidly snug and supported as is
possible. It also seems to do a nice job of counteracting the effects of
changing climates on the bridge pin holes, as I dont see these showing
signs of hole expansion through the years. Seems to be less of those
small cracks out from the pin that seem to always go nearly
perpendicular and slightly downwards from the string plane, but that
might be a biased perspective on my part... sometimes hard to tell about
that kind of thing :)

Cheers

RicB

--