False beats - Was spinet octaves

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 23 May 2003 11:27:41 -0400

Friends,

In all my piano technician days (I'm fulltime only eleven years), I have
mostly ignored doing anything about false beats because I wasn't sure
what to do with them.  I tried seating the strings which, as Dave says
here, usually helped little or none.  I've also heard explanations why
the cause could be poor notching.

In a couple instances I experimented with muting two strings of a treble
unison and putting a little sideways pressure on the bridge pin of the
remaining string.  Play the note and, more often than not, the beat was
gone.  Release the pressure, and it's back.  I think it was guru Ron
Nossaman who wrote once that 90% of the false beats are loose bridge
pins.  My meager experiments cause me to tend to agree.

But I hesitate to epoxy the bridge pin on a grand, fearing that the
epoxy might affect the termination point of the vibrating section and
make more problems than are solved.  And of course for verticals I
reckon the piano should be horizontalized.  One of these days I may just
work up the courage to give it a shot and see what happens.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT

Dave Nereson wrote:
I tuned a 6-foot Steinert grand today that had a few strings with beats
in them, that is, beats in just one string of some of the unisons.
Seating strings didn't help.  Not sure what caused them, but I just got
them to sound as good as they could.