Thar She Blows!

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Fri, 23 May 2003 11:28:16 EDT

In a message dated 5/23/2003 6:05:52 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tune4@earthlink.net writes:

> Thanks, Bob.  I was working on a couple of uprights and followed your
> description of the jack to hammer butt angle.  Works out very nicely, and quicker
> than my "try this and see" method.

Paul,

I think all "detective" methods are best used in combination. When trying to
deduce blow from jack angle, there is a little latitude in that there is a
range in which it will still work pretty well. Also, on well-used butts, there
may be some cavitation just from compaction, which will mean either a little
more lost motion, or shortening the blow slightly from its original design.
Anyway, that's why I suggested combining it with the amount of dip required for
full function, before settling on a final blow distance.

Bob