No Power Yamaha revisited

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Fri, 23 May 2003 16:44:24 -0600

Hi Issac,

At 08:56 PM 5/23/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello Roger,
>
>I like a bit of clearing on the bedding aurally too, I listen for
>knock on the front rail, pushing on it with my thumb to compare the
>noise, I understand we can listen to an open or too compressed balance
>rail, but I am not sure I understand when you say that you aim for the
>same tone - You mean the same tone all along each rail, or a tone that
>tells the quality of the weight on the frame ?

The same kind of tonal knock at each glide as you thump the down on the key
buttons.

>Or is it to be done without the keys ?

I only bed frames with the keys in.  There is a lot of lead in those
keys.  For the most accurate and stable job, it's the only way to fly in my
book.

>I've been a long time confusing knocks that came from the back rail,
>very often when the regulating screws are screwed a lot, and the
>knocking of a correctly bedded balance rail (that knocks evenly and
>easily even if there is a lot of pressure, assuming it is evenly
>distributed.
>
>Are the intermediate screws (hidden) checked for knocking in the same
>"tone" idea ?

Yes.  It is very important that these be done.  The reason that they are
there is because there are 4-5 leads in each of the bass keys.   This
really loads up that balance rail in this area.  The top treble has just as
many keys as the bass, but there is no need for hidden glide, since there
is hardly any lead in the top keys.  The hidden glides are in the bass and
tenor sections.
Remember this softwood frame has a spruce balance rail, with two thin maple
strips that adds strength to hold the balance rail pins.
It's also important to adjust these hidden glides with the correct tool.  I
have found more than a few butchered

Regards Roger