Ahmad Jamal

Sat, 24 May 2003 19:10:42 +0200

Hi folks

Just got back from tuning this beautiful nearly new Hamburg D for Ahmad
Jamal who's in town. He asked me if the piano was sent up from Paris
specially for him. Very nice fellow, made a point out of telling his
bass player and percussionist to quite down when he called "the
technician" on stage. Smiled at me and said "theres a difference you
know".  (technician visa vi tuner)

Struck me, as more and more I get a sense that Jazz pianists are much
more in touch with their instrument and what it can and cant do, what to
expect from a piano tech and what not to, and in general being able to
relax and make music.... get  << that sound >> they are after, to a
significantly greater degree then classical pianists. I find classical
players very often to be easily disturbed by the slightest things and
very willing to lash out at the nearest and best potential recipient of
wrath... quite often the piano tech, quite often venting frustration
with their own inability to live up to their own expectations.

I heard a story not long ago about a former professor (from Bergen) who
upon visiting a conservatory in Sweden, lashed out at the technician in
full public and demanded she make certain adjustments before he would
play. He left the room for a while and she took out her tool box and did
basically nothing for 10 minutes being consoled by a few onlookers who
obviously had understood the situation. Upon returning the fellow sat
down and played a bit and smiled hugely " MUCH BETTER" !!!

You know... I have run into exactly one such similiar story about a jazz
pianist in near 30 years of work now. Keith Jarett, and my own personal
experience with him on one occasion was quite eventless. I'm sure it
happens more often then this with jazz players.. but still.... there is
a marked difference.

Anyways.... I have to admit... I've learned a lot about pianos from
working around classical pianists. And thats good as I have an awfull
lot yet to learn, but it is so refreshing to run into these fellows with
such a positive attitude from time to time.

I dont get to sit in on his concert as I am at a 50th birthday party
this evening, but I did get to hear about 45 minutes of warm up / sound
check. Nice !!!

Cheers
RicB

--