Ahmad Jamal

Thomas A. Sheehan tsheehan@nyc.rr.com
Sat, 24 May 2003 14:40:14 -0400

Richard,

I couldn't agree with you more about Mr. Jamal. I've worked with him on
numerous occasions in NYC, and he's always been sincerely appreciative. In
general, I also agree with you that jazz players are, for the most part,
willing to work with a technician to achieve what they'd like to have from
their piano.

As the tuner who tuned and voiced this year's Grammy award-winning Best
Contemporary Jazz Album by a Group - Pat Metheny Group's "Thinking of
Now," - it makes the work go more efficiently when the pianist, in this case
Lyle Mays, is trusting enough to ask me to just get the piano "right" for
him. I think that it's a matter of rapport: with and confidence in the
technician. As Herbie Hancock once said to me, "Tom, I always play better
when you tune the piano for me." I think that the specific and general sense
of that statement is true. I am continually appalled by the lack of good,
solid tuning in jazz piano recordings from the 50s and 60s. E.g., "Time Out"
by the Dave Brubeck Quartet swings like crazy, but there's one ballad -
"Strange Meadowlark" - that's so clearly out of tune that it's enough to
almost make your toes curl.

Anyway, I'm sure that you're keeping up the world-class standard that these
artists deserve!

Sincerely,

Tom Sheehan, RPT
NYC Chapter