Ahmad Jamal

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 24 May 2003 23:57:21 EDT

Tom,

I was going through my Pat Metheny CD archives, and I noticed that you've
been tuning Lyle Mays' piano for quite some time now...at least back to "First
Circle," which came out in 1984!  I've always enjoyed the sound of his piano and
his playing, and it's very cool that you've gotten credit in the liner notes!

As far as jazz recordings from the 50s and 60s, I've been listening to a
couple of Bill Evans recordings from that era, and the pianos sound almost
unbearably bad.  It's good to see that today's jazz artists are a bit more
discriminating, that they're gracious about what they ask for and how to ask for it, and
that they recognize the technician as an artist--even if the audiences
generally don't.

Thanks for the story about Ahmad Jamal, Richard.  Sounds like a good
experience!  He's a great player.

Dave Stahl