String length

Sun, 25 May 2003 15:58:55 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stéphane Collin" <collin.s@skynet.be>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 22, 2003 11:45 AM
Subject: String length

> Hello world.
>
> Now that we are here, with such fantastic feed back from all over the
planet, does someone have a good trick for accurately measuring string
length ?  I know this may sound stupid, but I am always astonished by good
ideas that may come through.

> Regards.
>
> Stéphane Collin.

The easiest way I've found is:
    For the treble--use a small 150 mm steel rule with the starting end
filed to a bevel to enable the end to easily slip almost all the way up to
the termination point.
    For the lower treble--the same only in a longer length, typically 450
or 500 mm. These longer rules are usually a bit wider and more awkward to
use, hence the smaller one for the treble.
    For the agraffe section--use a tape measure. Check the tape for
accuracy, the hooks are not always placed properly. When buying a tape take
you steel rule with you. Place the tape hook over the agraffe and read to
the center of the bridge pins--subtract 2 mm for one/half the width of the
agraffe.

Always measure with the dampers removed or work under them.

Del