Tuning for recordings

Stephen Airy stephenairy@fastmail.fm
Sun, 25 May 2003 23:47:07 -0800

Was that "Strange Meadowlark" tuned anything like the piano used for
"Dream a Little Dream of Me" by Mamas & Papas?

----- Original message -----
From: "Richard Moody" <remoody@midstatesd.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 00:27:11 -0500
Subject: Tuning for recordings

----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas A. Sheehan <tsheehan@nyc.rr.com>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 24, 2003 1:40 PM
Subject: Re: Ahmad Jamal

> As the tuner who tuned and voiced this year's Grammy
award-winning Best
> Contemporary Jazz Album by a Group - Pat Metheny Group's
"Thinking of
> Now," - it makes the work go more efficiently when the pianist,
in this case
> Lyle Mays, is trusting enough to ask me to just get the piano
"right" for
> him. I think that it's a matter of rapport: with and confidence
in the
> technician.

Did you  tune for the recording that won the Grammy?   This is
great.  I always lamented that the tuner was/is not mentioned on
albums.  So when we hear "Thinking of Now" we know who did the
tuning.

When was the out of tune Medowlark recorded?  Hope it wasn't me
----rm

> I am continually appalled by the lack of good,
> solid tuning in jazz piano recordings from the 50s and 60s.
E.g., "Time Out"  by the Dave Brubeck Quartet swings like crazy,
but there's one ballad - "Strange Meadowlark" - that's so clearly
out of tune that it's enough to almost make your toes curl.

> Tom Sheehan, RPT
> NYC Chapter
.org/mailman/listinfo/pianotech