No Power Yamaha revisited

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 26 May 2003 09:48:36 EDT

Bill writes:
>I agree that a good healthy blow will put the frame under pressure,
>but if the BR doesn't have anywhere to go (because the glides are
>contacting the bed),

  I have been wondering when somebody is going to mention the entrainment of
the keybed?  Once the glides are in contact, the action cannot move, UNLESS
the keybed is not absolutely rigid.  But we know the keybed isn't.  This is
easily seen by depressing the pedals under a very lightly bedded set of glides and
observing them to lose contact with the keybed.
   So,  the extra power and tone being ascribed to heavier loading on the
glide buttons may possibly be a function of preload on the keybed?  And the
observed differences between makes of pianos may be more due to the differences
between keybed strength than the flexibility of the balance rails??
Wondering,
Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/
 <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">