Key Ratio ?

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Mon, 26 May 2003 11:43:17 -0400

Richard Brekne wrote:

> So... I ask you...  why we are supposed to measure down to the balance
> rail, and up to the capstan and at the same time  not take into
> consideration the horizontal deflection of their angles before figuring
> their ratio ?

There are a number of different ways to measure key ratio. Which one you
pick depends on the what you are trying to find out. For static weight
measurements measuring along the key perpendicular to the force of
gravity is best. If you are working on how the action moves angularly
you need to measure the key differently. To get true measurements of the
lever lengths of action parts you need to have the action assembled.
There are only two measurements that can be gotten directly from the
parts - the front length of the key and the back length of the shank.
All the other lever arms  are out somewhere in space and change
throughout the key stroke.

The link below from my web site is a drawing of the pitch point of the
upper half of the action. The action is at half stroke. If you draw
these out for other positions of the stroke you will see that the ratios
change.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin