Comrades ...

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 26 May 2003 14:08:07 EDT

>... what is meaning, please, of "schraffed bass strings."

   This refers to the striations on the core wire.  As Wayne Hicks,(longtime
Mapes stringmaker), wrote it down,"run rock on core".  I understood that they
used a piece of sharp flint.

>They cost more: Why? Are they worth it and, if so, for what pianos?

   I always ask for this, as over the years, the occurance of deadness and/or
rattles was much lower with these schraffed strings.
 >Now, a toughie: I've always ordered from Mapes and have no complaints.
>If others have favorite strings/suppliers, it would be nice to hear which

I used Mapes for many years, then tried the far more expensive strings of a
custom maker.  The more expensive strings were more consistant, but they seemed
to lack life.  I finally got a set that was more dead than alive and wasn't
able to get calls returned by the maker, so I have switched back to Mapes.
Occasionally, I have to ask for a replacement string on a new set, but they have
the tone I need.
   I know of several high end rebuilders that swear by GC strings from
Canada.  I have had several sets and they were very nicely made and sounding.  The
last set was questionable, though.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/