Bridge Notching & Pinning

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 26 May 2003 21:24:06 -0500

Related question:

I would think for someone who does not run a serious rebuilding shop and
business--and preferably have learned such a craft with an artisan-level
tutor--you'd never get terribly proficient at this and it would take a long
time each time.

If you have a third party build the bridge for you, how does the
cost-benefit ratio go?

Besides my dentist, who does really nice and reliable bridge work?

Alan Barnard
Know My Limits in Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Farrell
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2003 9:13 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Bridge Notching & Pinning

Today I have a newfound respect for the talented artisans who so neatly and
accurately notch & pin bridges on nice new & well-rebuilt pianos. I just
finished notching and pinning my first bridge that I built from scratch.
GOOD GRIEF! It is clear to me that a cosmetically neat job is truly an art.
It is not easy at all to do this job neatly. I stare at the old bridge and I
look at mine, and it is frighteningly clear that whoever did that old bridge
had likely done 4,397 bridge prior to the one that was in my piano! I think
mine will function quite well, if not win any awards for appearance. That's
about all. Just wanted to say WOW! And I be humbled.

Terry Farrell