The basics of tuning

Phil Bondi tito@philbondi.com
Tue, 27 May 2003 07:08:37 -0400

> 1) Do you have any suggestions for books discussing piano tuning from
> the bottom up? I'm sort of looking for a "tuning for dummies", as
> well as a more advanced book discussing tuning, intonation and
> mechanical action.

Hello. May I suggest Arthur Reblitz's Piano Servicing, Tuning, And
Rebuilding?  It's a very thourough introduction to the ins and outs of the
instrument. It's a 'desk reference' for some of us still.

> 2) What digital devices are available for computer-assisted tuning?
> (I read your discussion of the Verituner - it looks really
> interesting.) Do you think that such a device would be useful when
> learning tuning?

Any visual aide will get you in the ballpark, and can remember the tuning
for future reference. However, it is my opinion, especially you coming from
a playing background, that you give serious consideration to learning to
tune aurally. Not only will your tunings be more 'in tune', but it will also
help greatly with voicing down the road.

The machines are great. Most of us own one, or more..but the bottom line of
what we do is "how does it sound"? Only your ears know that for sure.

Stick around for awhile. Most of us don't bite!

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
phil@philbondi.com