captured action

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Tue, 27 May 2003 21:53:53 -0500

Ron, answers to your questions inserted below.  Thanks for your interest.

Mike

Looks "painted" (lacquered, actually) in, but also looks like it's been
messed up a little over the years.  No gap.  This is the mystery attachment
point.

 Is there no contact at all between stretcher and pinblock, as in -
> can you insert something between the two so it can be seen underneath and
> slide it from rim to rim without hitting anything?

No contact between the stretcher and pinblock.   1cm or more gap.

> Is there enough compression slack to the shank rest felts to insert a
piece
> of poster board between the spreader and hammers and shoehorn the action
> out with it? Does raising the glide bolts get you any clearance?

No compression slack in the rest felt.  I should have said "shanks are
settled firmly into the rest rail felt"

> With a two inch blow distance, and no clearance at the stretcher,
something
> is really strange. What's the key dip, by the way?

Key dip is around 3/8, not enough to achieve let-off on most notes.  This
piano was recently inherited and moved from Gramma's on the coast hasn't
been played since no-one remembers when, now they're wondering what it
would take to make it playable.   (So am I )