captured action

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Wed, 28 May 2003 03:14:31 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Michael Spalding=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 4:01 PM
  Subject: captured action
  List,
  I need help figuring out how to get the action out of an Estey baby =
grand.=20
  As it sits, the bass hammers are 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher than the =
bottom of
  the stretcher.  Blow distance is 2", the shanks are settled firmly on =
the
  rest rail felt.   OK, let's take out the stretcher.  4 screws release =
the
  trim strip covering the gap between the plate and the stretcher.  Now =
I'm
  looking straight down at the action - the stretcher is not attached to =
the
  pinblock.   There are two screws through the plate flange into the
  stretcher, which I remove.  Now the stretcher is only held in place by =
it's
  attachment to the rim at each end, and this is my problem.   I can't =
see
  how it's attached, or how to release it.  I gave it a few gentle tugs, =
then
  a progressivel rougher knocking about, but there's limits to what I'm
  willing to do in front of the cutomer in her living room.  Any ideas =
what I
  should be looking for here, to release this stretcher from the rim?
  thanks
  Mike Spalding RPT =20
  Mike & Jane Spalding
  spalding48@earthlink.net

      Maybe the stretcher was built-in as non-removable.  If it hasn't =
been painted or non-professionally "refinished", usually you can tell if =
it's meant to come out or not.  Any angled screws from underneath into =
the rim?  Maybe it's just real tight.  Put a block of wood (couple 2 x =
4s or something) under it and try prying one end up with a pry bar =
(gently) ? =20
      If the stretcher's not meant to come out,  pull the action out far =
enough to access the glide bolts and try turning them to see if it =
changes the hammer line.  Did somebody already say check the lyre bolts? =
-- maybe somebody put in some that are too long and holding the keyframe =
up off the bed.  Expanding action brackets, maybe, and now the hammer =
flange rail sits higher than it used to?  Nah, then the drop screws =
wouldn't clear the pinblock, probably....    Boy, I dunno; I'm stumped.  =
I'd have to see it....  --Dave Nereson, RPT